Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Penn Jacobs is alive and well...

I was duped for a period of at least 3 years.

A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of his at a party - his friend's name was Penn Jacobs. Penn was a really likeable guy - intelligent, witty, charming, handsome. He lived in Boston. He was erudite - I thought "Wow! How lucky is this guy to have such a great name like Penn Jacobs!?!?! It totally fits!"

A few years later we visited Penn at his apartment in Washington, DC - he'd moved to take a job down there. During that visit, they dropped the bomb.

Penn's real name wasn't Penn Jacobs. That was merely a put-on, a josh.

I won't say what his real name is because this is the internet and I have a sense of decorum. Besides, I wasn't mad or anything - just a little shocked and disappointed - not in anybody, but just that his name, which fit him so well, wasn't really his name.

I still like Penn, and I even accept his actual name now, but I always think first of Penn Jacobs. Let this be a lesson to ALL of you - first impressions are the ones that count!

If you ask me, I still think he should legally change his name to Penn Jacobs. So rarely does a name fit one so well.

Anyway, the former Penn writes a blog named Thumos.
http://thumos.blogspot.com

Now he's Mr. T... albeit, no mohawk.
Will it never end?

1 Comments:

Blogger kenkramar said...

Yep - I remember that... I think that when other people began referring to him that way, he started getting concerned. I recall a similar thing with the "Manchichi" nomer. He was thinking "Misfits", we were thinking "cute-toy"

On the Penn Jacobs thing, I was actually impressed that I was spoofed for such a long period of time!

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home