Saturday, August 13, 2005

He talks the talk, but does he walk the walk?

Okay - regular readers of this blog (yes, both of you, and I'm one of them) will recall that last week I busted on SUV's. I said:

"And that's why a Boxter, Miata, or any other 2 seat roadster convertible is still "cool": you can't do ANY of that stuff in it - you can only drive from point A to point B with the top down, enjoying the real world as you're living in its elements."

And anybody who knows me said:

"What the hell does that Hunter-Green-Jetta-Driving-Wonk know about driving a roadster?"

Well, I guess it's time to 'fess up: I picked up a Miata back in May.

It's a little white number with a red dual racing stripe down the center (no really, it actually does look snazzy)... it has a black convertible top. It's a 1990, the first production year, and I'm told that vintage of Miata is already considered a classic car because of its history and design.

For a 15 year old car it looks just great - it was well-maintained and mildly restored... and the best part of it is, the former owner let it go very inexpensively. I bought a great 2 seat roadster sports car for less than many people pay for a TV system these days! (Ok - maybe a 42" plasma screen with an High Definition TV receiver, but still half that price...)

I took it to the dealer for a used car inspection, and they gave it the A-OK - and told me these vintage Miatas were really well built and just keep on running! That's fine by me.

So far, everybody seems to like it - Nancy, my Folks & Family, strangers on the street. It needs a tiny-bit of body work, and maybe some engine work (the engine is very clean), but I intend to drive it around as-is during the warm weather, and then have work done on it in the Winter months (once it becomes too cold to drive with the top down).

So, yes, it's a new toy. It won't replace my Jetta (the practical car), it's a fair-weather weekend supplement for riding with the top down. And no, I won't do any practical errands in it - it's totally about the ride. I'd never drove a convertible before this car - I really enjoy it. Maybe motorcyclists feel this way as well, but when you drive with the top down, it really immerses you in the environment.

Anyway, enough of the blah-blah: here's a link to some photos...
http://www.kenkramar.com/images/miata/miata-viewer.html

1 Comments:

Blogger kenkramar said...

Oh, and I should mention in this time of gas inflation that it regularly gets at least 30 MPG. (yep, I do track gas mileage on my cars).

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home